Cameroon, You will be Missed 06/19/2010
Despite playing a refreshingly entertaining and attacking game against Denmark, we have to say farewell to Cameroon. You were the better team, but lost.
Anelka kicked out of WC 06/19/2010
Striker Nicolas Anelka was kicked out of France's World Cup squad on Saturday after a report that he had insulted coach Raymond Domenech. Anelka called Domenech "a son of a whore" at halftime of a 2-0 defeat by Mexico on Thursday.
What Does Africa Need to do to earn Respect? 06/19/2010
What does Africa have to do to earn respect?
We are a week into the 2010 World Cup in which the host country, South Africa, has outdone itself, at tremendous cost, to prepare and launch a marvelous tournament.
Yet, little due praise has been accorded. All we hear is nitpicking about the vuvuzela and even the cold weather (as if South Africans have the power to manipulate Mother Nature).
Against all odds, South Africa has so far proven to be as capable a host of the world's biggest sporting event as any other country in Europe, Asia or the Americas.
Confounding all pre-tournament predictions of doom and gloom, the host country ensured all accommodation, training and transportation facilities were in place, on time, and functioning perfectly.
While there have been some empty seats, overall, the stadiums are being filled.
Top 10 World Cup Moments So Far 06/19/2010
For those who were complaining about lack of emotion, here it is. A second round full of emotion as I had imagined in this post. Maybe the net wasn't hit by the ball as many times as we would like to see, but, the World Cup is not only about a ball and the net. This first week was marked by historical moments that will stay forever on people's minds all around the World. Here are my top 10 moments of this World Cup so far:
10. Robert Green, England's goalie wrote his name onto the list of blundering England goalkeepers, after his gaffe in the game between England x USA
09. The noisiest World Cup ever, thanks to vuvuzelas
08. France was losing the game against Mexico, and Thierry Henry who is one of the best strikers in the world, sits on the bench. (can someone explain why, please?)
07. Drogba entering in the second half of the match, 11 days after he had his arm broken.
06. Serbia team listening their anthem as an independent country for the very first time in a World Cup
05. Slovenia won their first match in the history of World Cups (Algeria 0-1 Slovenia)
04. Greece scored and won for the very first time in the history of World Cups (Nigeria 1-2 Greece)
03. Switzerland celebration after beating Spain (Nothing against Spain, but it was an incredible emotion for the swiss)
02. The striker Jong Tae Se crying during the execution of the North Korean anthem
01. The photo of a North Korean fan holding a sign which says: "Forget politics for 90 mins".
And what are your top 10 moments of this World Cup so far?